Do you ever think about your pet’s teeth and how important it is to provide at home dental care? Just like with humans, poor dental health in pets can play a part in the overall health of your pet. Professional veterinary dental checks to Pinecrest Veterinary Clinic in Johnson City, TN, at least once a year is a good preventative tool in keeping your pet’s teeth and oral health in tip-top shape.
What is Veterinary Dentistry?
Veterinary dentistry, just like human dentistry, includes cleaning, adjustments, fillings, extractions, and repairs. Pet dental exams should only be performed by those who are trained as a board-certified veterinary dentist or veterinarian. In some states, veterinary techs, under the supervision of a veterinarian, can perform certain tasks or dental procedures.
Oral Health in Dogs and Cats
Cavities can be a dental issue with pets but are not as common as it is with people. Other dental problems that our pets can face that are the same as people include:
- Infected teeth or abscesses
- broken roots and teeth
- periodontal disease
- cysts or tumors in the mouth
- malocclusion, or misalignment of the teeth and bite
- palate defects (such as cleft palate)
The most common dental problem with pets is periodontal disease and will continue to worsen as the pet ages. One critical step in pet health is early treatment and detection. Prevention is vital in overall health. Health issues that can stem from poor dental health issues like periodontal disease include problems with the liver, heart muscle changes and kidney problems. Brushing your pet’s teeth at home is an important part of the routine and should be done several times a week with pet-friendly toothpaste and toothbrushes. Our veterinary clinic offers services such as:
- Microchipping - Our microchipping services can make it possible to trace your missing pet back to you -- even if they have lost their collar ID tag.
- Surgery - We can perform spay/neuter surgery, oral surgery, internal/orthopedic surgery, tumor removal, and emergency surgery.
- Vaccinations - Let us provide your pet with the vaccination he needs to sidestep deadly diseases.
- Dental Care - from cleanings and checkups to serious dental treatment, we can keep your pet's mouth healthy.
- Wellness Exams - Regular wellness exams can help your pet avoid major medical problems by detecting those issues in their earliest stages. From checking vital signs and running lab tests to advising you on nutrition and diet, we can keep your pet well year after year.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
If you are looking for a top-quality veterinarian in Johnson City and Elizabethton, Pinecrest Veterinary Animal Hospital is the place to go. We will always treat your pets like our own personal family and we offer a wide range of veterinary services to be able to service the Johnson City area regardless of your pet’s phase of life. You can schedule an appointment with us by calling (423) 926-6091.